Who Helps Pay Utility Bills? What To Do If You Can't Pay
Utah has a variety of programs and loan options that can help you pay utility bills. Some of the programs and methods you could use include the Home Energy Assistant Target Program, the Weatherization assistance program, asking friends or family, and getting a Utah payday loan.
Let’s explore these options and more in detail so that you can pick the perfect one for you.
Top 5 Methods To Help Pay Utility Bills
1. The Home Energy Assistant Target Program
The Federal Government funds the LIHEAP (i.e., Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program). But it splits into state-level agencies to aid distribution. HEAT is Utah's version.
The program offers eligible households assistance with meeting the ever-rising costs of heating. Whether you use electricity or natural gas to heat your home, you can receive aid from this program.
To be eligible for the scheme, you need to meet the following requirements:
- Your household income is at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Level.
- Your household has at least one qualified non-citizen or United States of America citizen.
- You are responsible (or at least partly responsible) for paying your home's energy costs.
2. The Weatherization Assistance Program
On top of the HEAT scheme, you might be eligible for the weatherization assistance program. It's funded by the Utah State Department of Work Force Services and administered through nine nonprofit agencies in the state.
The assistance scheme provides help to low-income families and individuals to make their homes more efficient. Ultimately, the aid reduces utility bills, ensuring they're easier to pay in the future.
You might be eligible for the program if:
- you are elderly (i.e., at least 60 years old) and are below 125% of the poverty line.
- you are disabled and are below 125% of the poverty line.
- your household income is below 125% of the poverty line.
3. The Water Bill Assistance Program (Project Water ASSIST)
If you struggle to make your water bill payment, you might be eligible for Project Water ASSIST. The program is offered by the Salt Lake City Chapter of The Salvation Army and Public Utilities to service qualifying customers in the area.
To get access to the program, you need to be below 150% of the poverty line and have a household member who meets at least one of the following:
- They are aged 60 or older.
- They qualify for the Salt Lake County Tax Abatement Program.
- They are disabled.
If you wish to start your application or want more information, call the Salt Lake City Chapter of The Salvation Army on 801-969-0526.
4. Ask Your Friends Or Relatives
Even if you don't qualify for the programs we've discussed, you still have options.
The first port of call might be to ask your friends and family. It can be a tricky scenario to navigate. However, when you're struggling to pay utility bills, one of your loved ones will probably want to help.
Let them know precisely when they can expect you to pay them back and put any agreements in writing to make matters easier. That way, you'll avoid any disheartening money arguments down the road.
5. Get A Payday Loan
If you urgently need to pay your utility bills now, you can use a payday loan in Utah to pay utility bills. This type of borrowing allows you to access between $100 and $500 to fund your emergency financial needs the same day!
How Can You Qualify For A Payday Loan?
All you need to do is to follow the steps below to receive a fast payday loan today from us at Utah Title Loans, Inc.:
- Begin by completing the online payday loan form.
- Wait for one of our expert loan representatives from your closest Utah Title Loans, Inc. storefront to give you a call shortly after. They will discuss the process, answer your questions, and tell you about the required items.
- After the call, bring your government-issued photo ID, most recent pay stub, and a blank check from an active checking account in your name to your nearest Utah Title Loans, Inc. store.
- One of our loan experts will verify your items and guide you through the process's final steps, which involve some paperwork.
- Finally, if approved, you will receive the money you need on the same day or following business day, allowing you to quickly pay your utility bills.
Pay Utility Bills With A Payday Loan Today!
Paying for utility bills when you're in a pinch doesn't have to be stressful! Simply use any of the listed methods or fill in our online form to get in touch with the closest Utah Title Loans, Inc. branch and begin your process for a payday loan.
Note: The content provided in this article is only for informational purposes, and you should contact your financial advisor about your specific financial situation.